Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Poor Man's Valentine Craft

I wanted to be all domestic this Valentine's Day and do a craft with my boys to showcase how artistic and hip they are. But alas, my dream of putting my best foot forward for the sake of my little blog readership was smashed to smithereens when my boys bailed five minutes into the project. Apparently they had some really important games to play on the iPad and they couldn't be bothered with cardboard hearts and glitter. The nerve.

So, here is the honest truth: I didn't want to spend any money, so I looked to the garbage for inspiration and I found it in a pile of cardboard boxes. Here is how to make my Poor Man's Valentine Craft:

1. Cut heart shapes out of cardboard boxes with a razor blade.
2. Spray them with glue.
3. Dump glitter on them like you did in kindergarten.
4. Shake off excess glitter.
5. Feel free to mix the glitter, again, like you did in kindergarten.
6. Hang hearts with colorful yarn, string, twine, etc.

The end.

Hint: To avoid glitter getting everywhere, spray your hearts with a clear lacquer at the end. Allow to dry, then hang them.

Happy Valentine's Day, everybody!







7 comments:

  1. I LOVE it. So creative and thank you for the clear lacquer tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a few boys like that- but now they are grown and love all things creative.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, that's so cute! I love hearts...therefore I love valentines day decorations and think they should be allowed to stay up all year round!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I too tried to get my kiddos to do some crafts and they bailed on me as well. I am going to use your idea next year for my large picture window.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute!!! Darn it, I saw it after valentines day... Hey do you happen to sell "All about your heart" sheet music by chance? Grace

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I do sell sheet music for All About Your Heart on my web site. You can download it and print it right off the site. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The window is soo pretty with these hearts they are sooo cute :)

    ReplyDelete