Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Post-Alt Recovery

Last weekend, I went to an amazing conference for bloggers, designers and artsy folks in general.  Have you heard of Alt Summit? It was my first time attending.  Interestingly enough, after I bought my ticket and was preparing to go, I had several people warn me about how the conference was more of a display of pomp and peacock feathers than anything else.  But having been to a handful of conferences before, I took those comments with a grain of salt.  Often when people get together in large groups of like minds who are experts in their field it can feel intimidating.  But I didn't go to prove myself to the prestigious.  I went to learn from people who are successful and to experience the knowledge and light that they had to offer.  Everything is what you make of it, right?

I was so impressed with the attention to detail at Alt.  Nearly every printed item was done on the most beautiful paper in letter press.  The food was exquisite.  The themed décor was so clever.  The speakers and panelists were top notch.  Rave, rave, rave.  I went with the goal to meet new people and find something to love about every one of them.  I hardly hung out with anyone that I knew (sorry guys!) because it didn't make sense to network with people I see almost weekly.

I've also heard people complain about what it costs to attend Alt.  I paid over $500 for my three-day pass.  That may sound like a lot of money at first glance.  However, I honestly don't see how it could have cost any less than that for what you get.  In fact, for the networking opportunities, the many classes, the parties, gifts and the gourmet food, I seriously think it's a steal of a deal.  I'm already planning to go to the next one! Who's in?

(Mike and Alma Loveland and writer, Amy Hackworth ham it up with me in the smilebooth.)
   

6 comments:

  1. Good for you Mindy! That's a very good investment...which will surely pay off sooner or later :))) God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alt Live sounds divine! Also, I just saw this! http://vimeo.com/57648966 What a great project and how fun to see your name at the end. Your music always does have a way of getting me to the bright side, so it seems a perfect fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was such a pleasure to meet you! {finally!!!} - and i love your site, i've got to figure out how to buy all your tunes! next year, you room with us! AND! we've got to get you some shows in new england!!! xo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! You were at Alt. :) I hope you come to Blissdom in Dallas. I would love to meet you. I'm a total fangirl after listening to you sing on a Sue Bryce photography video the other day. I downloaded all your music and can't stop singing to it. My daughter (14) is also in love with your voice and subsequently told me that you were on twitter and instagram (both of us are IG fanatics). I'm so glad you are in my little blog world online! Makes me as happy as sunshine and 65 in the middle of a Texas winter. <3

    ReplyDelete