Saturday, June 6, 2009

Cocoon Girl Evolves: It's Time to Live


Meet my hairstylist: Chelsea Jamet.  The first time she did my hair seven years ago it was love.  I have followed her from salon to salon over the years because when it comes to hair, Chelsea can do no wrong.  Actually the one thing wrong with Chelsea is that she is so hard to get an appointment with.  I had to wait a month for this one!  Mercy.  But she is worth the wait.

A few days ago, I really felt the need for a change.  I have worn my hair the same way for twenty some years now.  As I've been doing some soul searching lately, I thought it might be nice to see myself in the most natural and humanly way possible.  Chelsea reassured me that going natural was "in" right now anyway.  But I didn't care too much about what was "in" or "out" this time.  I just wanted to see Mindy as she was meant to be.





The boys at home weren't too sure about the change to brown.  Thatcher came into the bathroom the next morning where I was getting ready for the day: "Mom, is your hair still brown?"  he asked.
"Yes, Thatcher, my hair is still brown." 
"Grrrrr," he growled at me and stomped out.
Chelsea said to give it at least a week to get used to, so I have committed to at least that.  Some times I love it, and sometimes my chi feels a bit off.  But what I love the most is being brave enough to try something new.

My next door neighbor recently saw another fellow neighbor with cancer, riding around the Tree Streets on the back of a big orange chopper.  "Oh my gosh!  What is Becky doing on the back of that motorcylce?!  She's dying!"  But seconds later, a switch flipped, and her heart spoke, "No.  She's living!"

My heart is also telling me that it's time to LIVE.  Stay tuned for more fun changes.  This summer is all about trying something new.


23 comments:

  1. I have the same relationship with my stylist, I will follow her aroun cause she's the best! Love the new do! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so confused, I thought you were a "natural, I am totally envious of your rockin blonde hair!?" Both look fantastic! It is so fun to change I go back and forth from blond to brown trying to decide what I like better. It's a toss up with you, you look rockin both ways!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Camille! You're hair is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new hair color! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you look beautiful as a natural brunette... (well, you always look beautiful.) Hope you have lots of fun trying new things this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you look, as always, beautiful from the inside out. "it's the light inside that makes the outside shine." :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! I recently changed my hair up a bit too... I decided it was time for some red streaks... I've got a red haired boy, so it's justifiable right? You look super cute! We stopped by the other night to get an address from you of a house you had mentioned to Ry. Thatcher said you were at lessons. We're heading over there tomorrow to check out another house, maybe we'll stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post, Mindy. I feel like the idea of living - truly releasing, throwing your head back and singing to the heavens a la Maria in The Sound of Music, and LIVING - is high on my priority list right now. Thanks for your post, and your candor. The 'do looks great, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So you came to the dark side, huh? Yes, brunette's really DO have more fun. We're mysterious...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you look hot. And I think you're slightly crazy to call it brown. It's not really brown. But it is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ashley, please do stop by! There are a few new houses up for sale in the hood. Can't wait to see your hair.
    Melissa, I love the "Maria" analogy. Julie Andrews has awesome hair in that movie.
    Megan, your comments make me laugh. You have the signature "Evans" humor.
    Emily, my boys and Ryan call it "brown" and I guess it sure feels like it compared to what it was before. But you are right, it is a dark blonde.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your new do is gorgeous! Thanks for the inspiration... and the reminder to remember that change is GOOD. ;-) I'm adopting your attitude this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mindy dear ... i love it. LOVE it. you're brave and strong and i adore you.

    so happy to hear you're breaking out of your cocoon. and this was just the post i needed to read to make sense of a few things in my own life. love you much my friend. talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Oh my gosh! What is Becky doing on the back of that motorcylce?! She's dying!" But seconds later, a flip switched, and her heart spoke, "No. She's living!"

    it's one of those mornings, but reading this made my eyes teary. thank you for sharing! good for you, mindy. you look so pretty with your new look. it is couragous to make such a change...and fun, i hope, to see yourself in a different light. love thatcher's response.=)

    ReplyDelete
  16. mindy i like it! i love love LOVE your blonde to DEATH, but this works for you too. (:

    ReplyDelete
  17. Krista, I adore you.
    Espinozas, you're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it! Change is always good....and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I also changed my bleached blonde locks for a brunette do this week. Several people did not recognize me at church! I have had moments of love and some of wondering who is looking at me in the mirror. As for you, you look positively BEAUTIFUL! I love this darker side of you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Isn't it amazing how changing our hair helps us change ourselves? You look great Mindy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey neighbor! I live next door and have to see your new hair on your blog. I like it, but it will take a little getting used to. I am trying to grow my hair out, for a change; I at least want to be able to tuck it behind my ears. I don't read blogs much because they make me feel like an utter loser, but I really enjoyed reading/seeing yours today. Happy summering! (That reminds me, we'd better get the block parties started.)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fauneil, I know what you mean about reading blogs. I used to feel like that too. BTW, you are the neighbor I am talking about in this post. Except, Luhi told your story in SM by proxy since you couldn't be there. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete