Monday, June 29, 2009

Midnight Musings



I sit in a wooden chair made by my husband; alone with my thoughts in the middle of the night.  I think of how last Friday, I went running through a maze of trails in Sacramento, with my sister, Jenny.  I was not the fastest.  I was not the most fit between the two of us.  But as I fell far behind my sister, I felt peace in my soul so pure and profound, I could not keep from smiling.  In a moment of pure knowledge, I felt acutely aware that the place I am at in life right now, is exactly where I am supposed to be.  Any sense of competition, any need to prove something or seek validation was null and void.  

I feel strongly that one of my main  purposes in life is to help you feel of your intrinsic worth through music.  Whether that be over the background music at the supermarket, at church camp, in a concert arena, through your car stereo or at a dinner party in your back yard, it just doesn't matter.   We may not ever meet, but my connection to you through radio waves or through handshake and hug, fulfills me to the point of utter happiness.  So at 12:57 a.m., I feel the need to say thank you for giving meaning to my life. 


7 comments:

  1. Thank YOU Mindy. Your music has touched me for years! I listen to your CD's when I am feeling stressed for before a big test in school (I listen as I am driving to school). Thank you for your calming voice, your inspired lyrics and for sharing your talent with us! You truly are amazing! And it was an honor to meet you at Sammy's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, it was so lovely to meet you too! Let me know when we can do a Tree Street Tuesday with your grandparents. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only recently found your music. I had heard you in "Trek" and "Joseph" and l-o-v-e-d your voice. But I am lazy and never got around to schlepping myself to the DB to buy your album. 3 weeks ago I received some, well, pretty soul-crushing news (you can read about it at my blog if you are interested) and decided to go to the temple. Afterward I drove to the DB and picked up "Feather in the Wind." I love it. I'll be heading back to pick up the first album, too. Thanks for your music and lyrics, and thank you to Heavenly Father for your lovely voice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been toying with the idea of constructing an email to explain the past 5 years of your music from my perspective. I guess I'll just say this: I have had the same experience you just described after listening to your album Sum of All Grace and a good cry...more than once. Thank YOU. There is a night from my mission when I knelt at my bed, unable to sleep, unable to move, just alone in the night, me and the Lord-trying to figure it out. The next day I heard Garden Walls. I think of that sweet night every time I hear it. I've never told anyone else about that because, well, how could they understand? There's more like that. 5 years worth. I love the purpose of you life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gigi: I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. I know that one day you will be able to look back at all that you have learned and be able to help others in the same situation. Much love to you.

    Lynnie: Thank you for sharing such a personal story. I can feel your sincerity. I'm so glad you found comfort through that album! Lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have two essential albums in our family. "A Song For You" by the Carpenters and "Feather In the Wind" by Mindy Gledhill. Both albums calm everyone down. Both bring memories of road trips and cooking in the kitchen. I can't thank Karen Carpenter, so I will thank you. Thank you for your calming voice and agreeable lyrics. Never stop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rookie Cookie: That is one of the best compliments anyone has ever given me. Thank you so much. I loved your last post. Made me smile and the recipe looks killer. Dang, I wish I liked cooking :-)

    ReplyDelete