Friday, February 12, 2010

Whole Hearted: A Post About Paul Cardall

All photos and videos provided, courtesy of Russ Dixon Photography.

Once again, your suggestions for the newsletter and online store were awesome. Thank you so much! I'll make some more detailed remarks about all of that very soon, but right now, I want to interrupt my posts about Music Success in Nine Weeks to tell you about one of my heroes.

There was a time several years ago when I was not happy with the music I was making and the label I was signed to. I wanted out, but it seemed overwhelming to declare independence in the sea that is the music industry; a sea where there are sharks, and I would face the reality of being a little fish in more of an ocean than the current pond I knew so well. But I determined that I would rather drown in an ocean than stay confined in a stagnant pond. So I left. And THAT is when I met Paul Cardall.

Paul knew the industry well, having been signed to a major label (Narada) as well as being successful independently. He is one of the major forces behind me releasing my last album, "Feather in the Wind." Paul helped me figure out all of the business aspects of releasing an independent album and helped me to create and launch my website.

All of this time Paul was working on his own career as well as managing other artists, I never would have guessed that he was operating with a serious heart defect. Paul was born with a condition called Tricuspid Atresia in which the tricuspid heart valve is missing. Yeah, I said MISSING. So, Paul has basically been operating with half of a heart his whole life . . . until now.

Last year, things got really bad. His family was informed that if Paul couldn't get a heart transplant soon, his days were numbered. He waited, and waited, and WAITED FOR 385 DAYS until he got the phone call that his new heart was awaiting.

One of the most inspiring times in my experience as a musician took place in Paul's room at the hospital while he waited for his hopeful transplant. Several musicians who have worked closely with Paul including myself, Peter Breinholt, Ryan Shupe, Ryan Tilby, Russ Dixon, Charlie Jenkins, and Sam Payne gathered together a few times in Paul's room to shoot the breeze about life and to make some music. Of course, these gatherings would not be complete without Jeremy Barron, who has managed all of us at some point or the other. Not knowing if it would be the last time we saw Paul, it was a sublime experience for us all to share those moments together. You can watch some videos of the songs we sang in his hospital room by clicking here.

On Monday, February 15th, several of us will join Paul on stage at a sold out Abravanel Hall in Salt Lake City (actually, I talked to Paul yesterday and there were 100 seats left. There may still be a few!). This is Paul's first performance on stage with his beautiful, whole and healthy new heart. Proceeds from the concert will go toward families effected by heart disease. A silent auction with some INCREDIBLE items will be held starting at 6:30 p.m. For ticketing and details, click here.

Now, a few videos from that time back at the hospital. Enjoy . . .


  1. Bought my ticket in Decemeber, can't wait:)

  2. Paul is amazing! I too have a heart condition and starting the journey of getting on the transplant list. I look up to him so much.

  3. Wow! M, that is exciting that you are on your way to a new heart. God bless you.